Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Busy and Dealing with Tragedy

     I'm sorry I've been absent for quite some time and my thanks to friends who have stopped by and asked about me.  About a week and a half ago it was Spring break.  We had Preston a couple of days and JD took him to a Train Museum which was a whole day.  They had a blast and I have a few pictures to share in another post.  It was a busy week and though I felt good I had times I wasn't but it seemed that I managed to stay very busy.  Then one night tragedy hit.  JD had taken Buddy my beloved doxie out to do his thing.  JD had come back in for a few seconds, I can't even remember what for, but went back out.  During that short time something had happened.  He called and called and Buddy didn't come.  That is very unusual.  Also he never went out of areas I trained him to stay in when he was out.  He was always within sight.  JD came in and looked thinking that Buddy might of snuck back in, but I told him no.  So he went out again and called and so did I.  It was the strangest feeling being so quiet for one as he was always barking at something.  We eventually gave up and came back inside and I just had this horrible gut feeling.  Some how we managed to go to bed for the night.  Although JD told me he couldn't sleep well and even got up late in the early morning hours and went outside to call and look for him again. 
     When I got up JD said that we won't find Buddy.  He had went out when it was light to look and out by the barn and in an area the outside light didn't show he found a bunch of tracks and some blood.  We had been seeing coyotes around and JD had been carrying a shot gun in the truck if needed.  Seen we've lived here when have only lost 2 calves to coyotes in the last 20+ years, but you always need to be prepared.  We also have been hearing that wild pigs are now showing up in this part of the country.  In my heart I knew he was right, yet it seem so unreal.  My heart just was sick and has been because it was hard to picture in my mind what had happened.  His back problems were so much better but he was slower in running and tired out quickly.  It still pains me to think of what happened when he went to see what was there and then to be attacked. 
     He had been through so much in his 8 years, the attack by one of our outside dogs 4 or 5 years ago when my sil and a vet friend of hers said not to expect him to live.  Yet he did and even the vet said he was a miracle dog.  To me he was that and so much more.  Then since Jan. and 6 weeks of confinement in a special bed we made for him he came back almost 100% to being his old self.  He even could sit up again, but we made him stop that.  Doxies are prone to have serious back problems with those long little bodies.  But with confinement and time sometimes they come back without having to have surgery.  It's very expensive surgery too, which I knew we really couldn't afford. 
     I will miss my little Buddy more than words can express.  He was my constant companion and that was like a life saver for me since I can't get out much.  He didn't like to be held much, but every now and then I could pick him up and he would just lie in my arms letting me pet and kiss on him.  Like he knew I needed that extra lovin' and he did too.  He was always by my side, lying on my feet most of the time.  He like to play and chew, much to my dismay, lol...  He ruined a lot of things around here, but he was just so sweet and lovable that it was hard to stay mad and upset with him.  His constant love and devotion to me made up for any of the bad things he did.  Buddy I will miss you so much!  Even JD misses him a lot.  He had grown very attach to him over the years.  Since we moved out here on the farm I've not had the best luck keeping a little dog.  Something always seemed to happen.  Buddy was with me for 8 wonderful years.  I would of loved many more, but I guess it just wasn't to be.  May you be happy my little sweetheart at rainbow bridge till the day we meet again! 

The day I got Buddy, a Birthday gift
from my sister-in-law Becky.  He was
just precious then as he was 8 years
later.                                           
    

       Knowing I am not happy without a dog to love and care for.  I had help from my daughter and a dear sweet friend of hers, Lindy.  Lindy knew of this little puppy that was looking for a home.  He was left at a groomer's she used and the sign said free to a good home.   He was going to be a small dog and seem to fit the bill for what I wanted and liked.  So I said yes if he was still available.  I know it seemed soon after my loss but I know Buddy wouldn't of minded my getting another little one to care for.  So Curly, named by JD came into our lives.



     We are not sure of his exact breed but I see a lot of terrier in him with maybe some chihuahua.  The fur around his face is not as long and thick as in some terriers, also his little tail is long and curls up over his back.  He is a mix for sure, lol.  Also he is about 2 months old so I have had my hands full keeping him busy for he is still in the playing and biting stage.  He is crate trained though and does very well at night.  He goes right in, might bark once or twice but settles right down and is quiet all night.  He will potty outside except for pooping,  We are working on that, but so far no real luck.  All I can say is that at least they aren't runny and easy to clean up and he seems to have found one place to do it, so it's easy for me to clean up.  lol   He is a handful.  He needs training on the lease to.  And I'm glad it's warm weather where I can be outside with him.  I am trying to teach him as I did Buddy that he can only go so far.  So far it is working when he is with me.  When JD takes him out he ventures a bit farther, but JD can chase him down easier than me when it's time to come back in.  I use treats to get him to come in and so far it's doing great to get him back on the porch.
     So this is what I have been up to.  I am emotionally worn out from Buddy's loss.  I still have him on my mind so much and have even called Curly Buddy several times.  I know in time the pain will ease and soon Curly will be as good a companion as Buddy was.  But Buddy will always hold a special place in my heart.  I thank God for good memories, and the time he allows me to love each of my little friends.

Love and Hugs,
Nancze



5 comments:

  1. Hi Nancze,
    I am so sorry for you loss. You have me crying here at work for Buddy :((( Heartbreaking!! Those coyotes plaque my sons neigborhood so all little dogs and cats are kept inside but I have heard of attacks by them even in front of people. Curly is adorable and I am happy you got a pet right away it doesn't fill the hole you have for Buddy but it makes it a little easier to bear the loss. Hope you have a good evening. Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sincere condolences Nancze. It's got to be the saddest day of your life. Take comfort in knowing Buddy is in 'doggy heaven' doing just fine. Hugz!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about Buddy! I know how special he was to you. Doxies are special little dogs that capture your heart. I know Susan still misses her Reina. I, for one, am all for bringing a new puppy into your life. Of course they don't replace the dog you've lost but they bring happiness back to your home. Curly is lucky to have you and JD! We have coyotes, too, but our dogs are big enough to not be seen as prey to them. Take care! Sending big hugz... you know I've been there and know what you're going through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry Nancze, I'm sitting here crying. I know how bad it feels. I don't blame you for getting another puppy it was the only thing that took away some of pain when we lost our first dog Mikey. We lost our Jack last November and we still feel bad and miss him everyday. Jack and Buddy are surely playing in doggie heaven together. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, Nancze; My heart goes out to you. My son has 3 doxies and I know how they would feel if they lost one. They are his and my DIL's only "children". I'm especially attached to their oldest male Lenny. When he hears me (his eyesight is bad) he slowly runs to me and stays by my side until I leave. I'm so happy you got another adorable pet right away. Take care and have a blessed day dear friend. Love & hugs

    ReplyDelete